FAQs about the harp

You would like to contribute something, but you don't know German? No problem, just post it here in English.
Reidun
nicht mehr wegzudenken
Meine Harfe(n): 2 Chromatische Harfen von Henrik Schupp, grosse & kleine Keltische Harfe von Pepe Weissgerber, Erard Grecian, kleine keltische Harfe von Louviot, Ivy von Karsten Stielow
Wohnort: GLENCUTTAUNE LOWER, BEAUFORT (Killorglin), Kerry, Irland
FAQs about the harp

Beitrag von Reidun »

FAQs about the harp

-Do I have to learn how to play the piano first before I can get started with the harp?

NOOO! thats complete nonsense.

-Do I have to learn to read notes (sheetmusic) before I can get started with the harp?

NOOO! Even blind people can play the harp (have a look at irish harpers history). Just learn to play by ear. Traditional music needs no sheets. You can understand melody, harmony/chords, improvisation without writing it out. But if children come to my harp lessons, then I will as well work on reading, for the only reason that kids learn so fast, so its a good use of this precious time. Sheet music is like a book - its fine if you re able to read, but to tell a story to somebody, reading skills are not absolutely necessary. Find out yourself what you want! Sometimes adults are good sheet-music readers but have difficulties to memorize a melody/to play by ear or to improvise. I won t force them to learn without sheet neither... everyone as she/he likes best!

-Is the harp a difficult instrument?

It..s a very logical instrument. Easy to understand how to get a chord, a melody. Once in tune, it encourages you to improvise without false notes. I reckon its easier to understand than a piano, at least in the first 3 years; and definately easier than a guitar, if you want to play more than only chords. Parents prefer it to a fiddle and neigbours to a shottish (galician) bagpipe.

Is the celtic harp only for children, and adults would play the pedal harp?

NOOO!!! telling this rubbish should be illegal

Is the harp an especially feminin instrument?

Is the fiddle a masculine instrument???

Look at harp history... these rumors came only in a later period, when daughters from wealthy families played piano or harp. But in mediaeval times and today in traditional music there are a lot of male harpists in Brittony, Austria, Ireland, Germany...
I admit, some instruments are chosen mainly by men ( mostly the noisy ones like percussions, bagpipes etc or the big ones like double bass or tuba , with exception of the pedal harp)

Other questions?nullnull
Zuletzt geändert von Reidun am Mi 2. Apr 2008, 01:03, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Reidun im Netz: http://www.harpmusic.ie